4. Alternator: general
To avoid damage to the alternator semiconductors, and indeed to many other components, the following precautions should be observed:
- Do not disconnect the battery or the alternator whilst the engine is running.
- Do not allow the engine to turn the alternator when the Jatter is not connected
- Do not test for output trom the alternator by 'flashing' the output lead to earth
- Do not use a battery charger of more than 12 volts output, even as a starting aid
- Disconnect the battery and the alternator before carrying out electric are welding on the vehicle
- Always observe correct battery polarity